Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Atlanta Braves - #BravesBash


For those of you devout Braves fans like myself, you were probably taking part in Braves Bash this past weekend. I was one of many fans to sit in on a conference call with some of the Braves’ biggest names last Sunday, following a tough loss to the Cubs.  I took the opportunity to write down a lot of what players like Chipper Jones, Tommy Hanson, Craig Kimbrel, and others had to say. Below I’ve listed some of the highlights from the call for your enjoyment.


Chipper Jones:
On the end of Dan Uggla’s 34-game hitting streak (he went 0-3 vs. Chicago):
“We were all caught up on the streak. He got a standing ovation we he walking into the clubhouse. I’m sure he’s going to start another one soon though. Good things happen to good people and he’s hotter than a dancing bobcat.”

On their chances of making the playoffs:
“I’m not concerned with winning the division or getting home field because I don’t worry about where we play. I just want us to get into the playoffs. Then, if we’re healthy at the end of the year, anything can happen.”

On adding an additional wild card team:
“If that happens we would have to shorten the regular season. The playoffs already take over one month to get through. We need to cut the season down to 144 or 150 games honestly, just to get a break. The World Series winners play nearly 200 games and that is A LOT of baseball.”

Tommy Hanson:
On his recent shoulder injury and DL-activation:
“My shoulder is fine. [We] just wanted to be careful. I’m not worried about it. It’s very similar to the first time I injured it. I expected the MRI to come back clean again and it did.”

On the success of the bullpen this year:
“They’ve been outstanding! You know that if you leave with a lead it is going to stick. Without a doubt they’re the best bullpen I’ve ever had behind me. It’s really shocking if they give one up.”

On the difference between former manager Bobby Cox and current manager Fredi Gonzalez:
“Bobby’s loyalty [to his players] was second to none. But Fredi is very similar to him. He does a tremendous job communicating with everyone.”

On whether or not he changes his approach as they near the playoffs:
“I don’t really change anything. You do start looking at the scoreboard of the other games and track the other teams. You can’t help it. Not that the early games don’t count, but those [late season games] seem to count a little more.”

Craig Kimbrel (Rookie of the Year Candidate):
On being raised in ‘Braves Country’:
“I was born and raised here in ‘Braves Country’ and it was my childhood dream to play for the Braves. As I got older I just wanted to play pro ball but [when I was selected by the Braves] it was a dream come true.”

On the fans across the country:
“It’s really amazing. We go on the road and we have fans everywhere. We just played a series in Colorado and we had a bunch of fans there supporting us.”

Michael Bourn:
On the Designated Hitter position:
“Either we need to get rid of it altogether or we install one in both leagues. It’s an unfair advantage to [American League] teams. They’ve got guys that can cycle the lineup back through where there has to be a strategy to make a pitcher’s at-bat a useful one.”


Derek Lowe:
When asked if he wasn’t paid would he still play:
“Honestly, no. Ha-ha. But it is my job and it takes a lot of sacrifice. Obviously they pay us handsomely for it now but you don’t get to see your family often and despite what people think, it’s a year round job. But at the same time, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

When asked to give advice to young pitchers:
“DO NOT throw curve balls or junk pitches until you’re at least 16.”

On the funniest prank he’s seen in his career:
“Last year a guy lit [Kenshin] Kawakami’s translator’s shoe on fire!”


My Take: While the Braves are stuck in a division with arguably the best team in major league baseball, the Philadelphia Phillies, they have proven they can hold their own against them. With Hanson being retro-actively placed on the 15-day DL to rest, the Braves should be able to be strong contenders in the playoffs.  Johnny Venters and Craig Kimbrel have established themselves as the best set-up & closer combo in the league right now. 

With the addition of Michael Bourn at the lead-off spot, Uggla finally getting his swing back, and McCann returning from the DL the Braves could make serious waves come October. They are an extremely strong line up with a great bullpen holding it down. I expect Fredi and the Tribe to be right in the hunt and a viable opponent in the playoffs. Oh, and Heyward, if you can get your swing back before the season ends, that’d be really nice of you.

If there are any of you out there who have other questions or comments from the #BravesBash that you didn’t see here please post a comment and let me know!!

-X

No comments:

Post a Comment