Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Look Back at Week 2

Buffalo Bills defeat the Oakland Raiders 38-35
MVP: Fred Jackson
Yes, I gave the MVP award to Jackson for this game purely because of the numbers he put up (117 yards rushing, 2TDs, and 27 receiving yards). But had I have told you that Ryan Fitzpatrick would have 7 touchdowns, 1 interception and a QB rating of 109.6 in the first two weeks you never would have believed me. You have to give credit where credit is due and, I’ll admit it, I’ll be pulling for them next week against the Pats.

Green Bay Packers defeat the Carolina Panthers 30-23
MVP: Cam Newton
This makes it two weeks in a row I’ve picked Cam as my MVP in a game his team lost. But I have my reasons. Apart from the Philidelphia Eagles, the Green Bay Packers are essentially expected to coast into the playoffs and make a serious bid for the Super Bowl yet again. That is exactly what made Cam’s performance so impressive. Cam is now second in passing yards in the league with 854 in two games. Yes, he did give the ball up in the second half like he was allergic to it but he was dictating the game in the first half against the best defense in the National Football League. All I have to say is, until this kid starts acting like a rookie, I see no reason to continue to treat him as one.

Detroit Lions defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 48-3
MVP: Matthew Stafford
A healthy Stafford has proven to be an extremely dangerous one. I wanted to believe in the Lions last year but couldn’t shake my memory of that 0-16 team a few years back. Well, they’ve definitely put those years behind them as they improve to 2-0 in monstrous fashion. Stafford slang the rock for nearly 300 yards and four scores against albeit a weak Chiefs secondary. Quite the day for quite a young team.

Cleveland Browns defeat the Indianapolis Colts 27-19
MVP: Peyton Hillis
I wanted to give the award to Colt McCoy yet again but his 211 yards and one TD just aren’t going to cut it. Hillis looked like he was back in the swing of things for the rushing game against the Colts. 94 yards and two scores was exactly what the Browns needed to push them past the Manning-less (Manning can also be substituted for win) and bring them to 1-1 on the year. In some other division I may even put them as an outside shot at the playoffs, but I don’t see Big Ben or the Ravens D having any part of that.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeat the Minnesota Vikings 24-20
MVP: Josh Freeman
I wanted to put LeGarrette Blount down for MVP because of a 70 yard, two score game in what was essentially his first game of the season but I just have to show Freeman some big time love here. In only his third year in the league, Josh Freeman is considered an excellent 4th quarter QB. I swear, I watch every game and sometimes I think he lets the other team hang around purely so he can finish them off in dramatic fashion. I realize the Bucs had nearly all of their home games blacked out last year but there has to be a less heart-wrenching way to sell tickets.

New Orleans Saints defeat the Chicago Bears 30-13
MVP: Drew Brees
No surprises here. Rebounding from a tough loss to the Green Bay Packers last week, the Saints stormed back behind Brees’ 270 yards and 3 TDs to improve to 1-1. Until the Bears can learn how to protect Jay Culter for more than like 8 plays, they are going to continue to struggle against any defense.

New York Jets defeat the Jacksonville Jaguars 32-3
MVP:  The NYJ Defense
Yes, anytime the opposition is held to just 3 points it is pretty easy to credit the defense with the win. That is especially true when the defense only allows 3 third down conversions on 12 attempts and never allows them into the red zone. That’s quite the sad day for the lonely fan in Jacksonville who purchased NFL red zone to watch all those MJD touchdowns. But come on, they can’t play Tennessee every week.

Pittsburgh Steelers defeat the Seattle Seahawks 24-0
MVP: Ben Roethlisberger
I wanted to give this to the Steel Curtain for all of the reasons I just picked the Jets above (plus the fact Seattle didn’t even attempt a field goal) but, after 5 turnovers last week, Big Ben gets this award with a side of redemption. Passing for nearly 300 yards and a touchdown isn’t that impressive against such a weak team but it does mean I don’t have to bench him for McCoy next week in one of my leagues. Cheers to that.

Tennessee Titans defeat the Baltimore Ravens 26-13
MVP: Kenny Britt
After an impressive and dominant win over the Steelers last week, I don’t think anyone was anticipating an offensive stall against the Titans.  For going for over 130 yards and a score for the second straight week (last week he had two scores), Britt has to be the MVP again. The kid was on pace last year to finish as the number one receiver before he got injured. If this guy can stay healthy all year he may just pick right up where he left off.

Washington Redskins defeat the Arizona Cardinals 22-21
MVP: Rex Grossman
Rex is making me relish the fact that I wrote that article about him before the season started more than any post I’ve ever drafted. Is it getting to extreme to feel that his play on the field is now a personal vendetta against me to prove me wrong? Well hell Rex, I’ll admit it, you’ve won me over. The Redskins are currently the only 2-0 team in the NFC East and Rex’s 291 yards and two touchdowns proved to be enough (oh, and Gano’s FG but he’s a kicker so come on!) to get the win against the birds this Sunday. Hey Rex, you put up 4 TDs against the Cowboys and I may even buy your jersey.

Dallas Cowboys defeat the San Francisco 49ers 27-24 (OT)
MVP: Tony Romo            
It’s hard not to give Miles Austin the award here considering he did have 143 yards and 3 touchdowns but he didn’t have any broken bones so he lost some points in that category. Romo on the other hand actually took that stat box uncontested and that is why he wins out this week. Romo left the game with a fractured rib which meant Kitna had to come in which 9 times out of 10 means your team loses. Well, it took Romo just one play in OT to hit Holley (I didn’t know who he was either) for a 77 yard reception which set up the game ending field goal. So to who I believed to be the softest QB in the league until today, congrats Tony (I’m looking at you now Cassel).

Denver Broncos defeat the Cincinnati Bengals 24-22
MVP: Kyle Orton
Orton may have only thrown for less than 200 yards and two touchdowns and rookie Andy Dalton may have thrown for over 300 yards and two scores as well but I’m still giving it to Orton. Why you ask? Because as long as Orton doesn’t lose the game, Tim Tebow won’t be seeing any playing time at QB. So yes, other guys in this game deserved MVP honors but as long as Orton keeps Teblow of the field he’ll keep getting respect from me.

Houston Texans defeat the Miami Dolphins 23-13
MVP: Daniel Thomas
There were a lot of guys here who had great fantasy days, most of which were on the winning side (Andre Johnson and Ben Tate) but Thomas made a name for himself Sunday. Thomas is a rookie who was thought to have lost his job to Reggie Bush based on the pass happy Miami style of offense. Thomas took 18 carries for over 100 yards while running behind his pads. He seems to be running in a way that fills the void Ronnie Brown left when he skipped town for Philly. For the sake of the Dolphins, I sure hope Thomas can keep this up.

New England Patriots defeat the San Diego Chargers 35-21
MVP: Tom Brady
98% of the time that Tom Brady takes the field he is worthy of MVP honors and Sunday was no exception. The fastest QB to 900 yards in NFL history, Brady followed up week 1’s 500+ yard performance with a 400 yard effort. Wes Welker was responsible for most of the yards in week 1 and, in typical Brady fashion, he shook things up and connected with Deion Branch 8 times for nearly 130 yards. And for those playing in leagues where Gronkowski or Hernandez (despite the injury) are available, try to make some roster room. They will be consistent performers while on the field.

Atlanta Falcons defeat the Philidelphia Eagles 35-31
MVP: Matt Ryan
As I predicted, Matt Ryan wasn’t about to lay down and let another team bury them. While only throwing for 195 yards on 28 attempts, Ryan did manage to find the endzone 4 times against the amazing Philly secondary. Tony Gonzalez made the play of the game with a one-handed toe-tapping catch in the back of the endzone. Those watching also say Michael Turner come alive in what most predict as a down year for Turner with 114 yards on the ground and a score (he also had 32 receiving yards).

New York Giants defeat the St. Louis Rams 28-16
MVP: Danario Alexander
I know what you’re thinking. Who is Danario Alexander? The 2nd year player from Missouri had only three receptions on Monday night but they were all he needed to record 122 yards and a touchdown against the Giants. Yes, Alexander is one of many to earn MVP honors in a losing effort but he did launch himself out of obscurity and into the spotlight on one of the biggest stages a week 2 game can provide. Just don’t expect Alexander to be getting this award again anytime soon.

I went 14-2 this week on my picks which brings me to a 21-10 total on the year. 
Love what you read or think someone else deserves MVP honors this week? Write me a comment and let me know what you think!

-X

No comments:

Post a Comment